Photo Creds: Well Plated
Recipe by Kelly Massey
• 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter or ghee
• 1 red bell pepper diced (or 1 cup chopped vegetables of choice)
• 1 cup egg whites or the whites of 8 pastured large eggs
• 2 green onions finely chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
• 1 1/2 cups chopped or torn fresh spinach
• 2 tablespoons shredded raw cheddar cheese, or you can use feta
• Optional: Paleo hot sauce and sliced avocado for serving
• Place a rack in the upper third of your oven and preheat the oven to broil.
• Heat a small 8” cast iron or safe nonstick (oven-safe) skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once the butter melts, add the red bell pepper. Sauté until the pepper softens, about 6 to 8 minutes. • Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites in a bowl until they are lightly frothy.
• To the skillet, add the Italian seasoning, salt, and green onions. Stir to combine and let cook for 30 seconds.
• Add the spinach to the skillet for a little while, stirring until it wilts and cooks down.
• Slowly pour the egg whites into the skillet and cook undisturbed until the edges begin to cook and appear more solid white.
• Using a rubber spatula, lift the edges of the whites, lifting all the way around and tilting the pan as you go. Let cook for about another minute.
• Sprinkle the cheese on top, then transfer the skillet to the oven. Broil for 2-3 minutes. Watch closely and when egg whites are cooked, remove them from the oven, and slide them onto a plate. Serve hot, and enjoy!